Search This Blog

Monday 13 July 2015

Swatching and switching


This summer has not been very productive in the strict sense, at least concerning my knitting. It has been super hot the last week and I could barely touch any yarn, just existing was already too much effort (note: if it gets hot in Belgium it feels a million times warmer because we're simply not used to it!). I also learned a new word in Dutch: "Hittegolf".

But working on the small things is also work and I've done a lot of swatching for two projects that I've been dying to get on the needles for a while. The first one is Sigrid's "New Waves Cardi" and the second one Anna Wilkinson's "Spencer fair-isle vest" from the book "Learn to knit - love to knit". Both were love at first sight and I immediately thought that they were great projects to get rid of my stash of Latvian yarns that I have now in all colours of the rainbow. 

The "New Waves Cardi" has a very simple but intriguing pattern and I was super happy that Sigrid sent me the draft to do a test knit. I started swatching and it seemed to work out fine with the needle size indicated in the pattern and I also liked the red and white contrast. But when I got started I realized fairly quickly that I was knitting too losely and the bodice was already faaaar to big. Quite frustrating because I felt like I did my swatch for nothing but something went obviously wrong here. I unraveled it completely and the project is now snoozing again until I've taken up the courage to continue.

In parallel I was also knitting some swatches to work out a good colour combination for the "Spencer" vest. Since I didn't buy the yarn recommended in the pattern and I used my own stash, some colours were not corresponding exactly to the original and I had to alter the combination a little bit. It was harder than I thought, especially in getting the dark-light contrast. I also realized that it is much better to have some "dull" colours in stock because all my stash is rainbow-coloured and super bright so actually the colours don't work so well together. In the end I settled on a combination which I like though and I bought an extra pair of smaller needles just in case.

I think I finally worked out a colour scheme that I like and I cast on for the vest/cardigan to be. Updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment