Search This Blog

Monday 19 October 2015

Sewing frustrations




Despite my best intentions I didn't really get rolling with my sewing projects this summer. Except for the Miette and the Marimekko dress I didn't manage to produce anything substantial. Not that I didn't try, I actually had quite an ambitious project planned, but maybe that's why it hasn't materialized yet.

I wanted to make another "Lilou" dress and I thought it would be a breeze since I had already made it once. The only thing I wanted to add was the lining and I didn't think it would make much of a difference but somehow it does.

First I  realized that i hadn't marked my alterations on the paper pattern and only on the toile for the first bodice so I didn't transfer those to the new pattern. Mhhh. That meant that I already left the half-cut pieces lying around in my kitchen for a couple of weeks or so until I could gather the energy to make the alterations.

Then I needed another session to cut out the bodice lining and i couldn't decide which fabric to use. I waited for another couple of weeks to get inspired.

Finally I had decided that I would take the black s y n t h e t i c (the importance of this emphasize will become clear later) fabric already used for my Marimekko dress because I still had enough for both the bodice and the skirt lining. I cut everything out and wanted to prepare the darts for sewing, happily took the iron and - GAAAAAAH - burnt a hole into the fabric which just melted like ice cream int he sun! Still can't believe how stupid I am.

My motivation was back to zero again and I left it lying around for a another couple of weeks, until I had taken the decision to just use my old toile as a lining. It's not great but I just couldn't be asked to make another piece and at that point I was getting fed up with the whole project.

Latest status: bodice with (fake) lining is finished, skirt pleats are sewn and pressed but now waiting to be assembled. Don't worry, it's just a question of a few more months....

No comments:

Post a Comment