Search This Blog

Monday 31 July 2017

Little knits: Alpaca baby vest


 My friends are busy making babies which, in return, keeps me busy knitting for them. As mentioned before, I like to those little knits and they're real stashbusters because I almost always have a spare skein or two that are perfect for those projects.

This time I stuck to my trusted old pattern for the "Raglan Baby Cardigan (Top-Down)" which I already used several times, for example here. It's a free Ravelry pattern and in its simplicity you can modify it endlessly. The yarn I used was still from my Peru stash of alpaca yarn, part of it handdyed in the workshop on dyeing with natural dyes I attended two years ago.

I'm not a huge fan of pink normally, mainly because of the gender stereotyping-aspect of it, but this one is very pretty. It's dyed with cochenille but came out a bit more subdued because the alpaca didn't take up the dye as well as the wool.

As an afterthought I should have probably given the pink cardigan to a boy in order not to conform with the stereotypes but alas, I wasn't that rebellious after all and it went to a little girl. I'm a bit reassured though because I think there aren't too many other pink items in her wardrobe so she can grow up with a healthy take on gender identity.

*******
Pattern: Raglan Baby Cardigan (Top-Down)
Yarn: Michell alpaca, natural white & dyed with cochenille


No comments:

Post a Comment