Search This Blog

Saturday 8 June 2019

"Kulan" baby cardigan


 This was one of those spontaneous knits that I wanted to cast on immediately when I discovered the pattern on Ravelry. Actually, I think I had already saved it in my favourites a long time ago but now I came across it again and was inspired!

It was a great project to use up some of my stash of assorted Latvian fingering yarns, most of it Tines I think. The grey one I know for sure but the other colours are leftovers of some nameless skeins that I bought at Hobbywool in Riga a few years ago.

First I tried to hold the yarn double to match it with the gauge suggested in the pattern, using a worsted weight yarn. But I didn't like it and it was very tiring to knit so I started again. I definitely prefer knitting with finer yarn, even though it takes a bit longer. It looks much neater at the end.

To get the correct size I picked up the amount of stitches given for the biggest children's size and that worked out well to get a size fitting a 12-18 months old. I also added 6 stitches for the steek. Apart from that I followed the instructions for the jumper pattern and then added the button band in the end. I took up slightly too many stitches for the band though, I have 86 and I should have probably done around 70 to get a better length.

Conclusion: sometimes the quickest decisions bring the best results!

*****
Pattern: "Kulan" by Isabella H.
Yarn: Grey main colour: "Tines"; other colours from Hobbywool

No comments:

Post a Comment