Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 June 2015

Pimp my terrace

Summer in the city calls for a refuge outside my four walls. As beautiful as they are, when the temperatures go up a flat under the roof is not the place where you want to be (unless you want to save on the trip to the sauna). This being my fourth (!!!) year in my lovely home I have now mastered the art of relocating into my summer-bedroom a.k.a. the terrace

But this year I didn't only plant flowers and put up my parasol, I got a little something extra that I had been thinking about buying already for a while: a hammock! I finally got one on a spontaneous shopping attack while I was on a 5-hour layover in Colombia on my way back from Peru; a very wise investment of my last Peruvian soles. So now I have a beautiful Colombian hammock and I didn't even need to drill any holes, I just tied it to the railings - done.

I have to say that the railings are very sturdy though and it probably doesn't support the weight of more than one (slim) person. But I don't want to test its limits, considering that the terrace is on the roof of a four-storey building.  But I already saw my neighbours trying to copy me so the idea can't have been that bad.

Besides the flowers that I bought on the market (I managed to kill ALL of them over the winter except for the oleander and the olive tree) I also put the seeds for basil, mint, and forget-me-nots. Basil and forget-me-nots are progressing great and are actually turning into real plants while this stupid little mint thing doesn't want to go anywhere. Nothing except for tiny little hints of green that I successfully drowned with my first watering attempt. Seems like my mint tea will have to rely on the Moroccan shop for a bit longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment