Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 February 2016

A knitting revelation

Going through my blogroll I recently stumbled upon this article by Andi Satterlund about twisted ribbing. I had noticed this in her "Miette" pattern but basically ignored the instruction as I couldn't figure out how to do it - I thought it was just regular ribbing. But reading through her post now, it suddenly struck me: I didn't understand it because...

... I have been purling the WRONG way all my life!!!! It was one of those moments when first of all you just cannot  understand how it is possible that I just didn't learn to purl properly and I haven't noticed for about 20 years. But when I started thinking about it all suddenly made sense. Why my stockinette always looked a bit wonky if I didn't knit in the round and my grandmother even said a long, long time ago: "It looks almost like a different pattern the way you knit.". And especially in my "Miette" I noticed the weird definition when stretching the garment which looked different to the sleeves that were knitted on DPNs.

If you look very carefully you can for example see it here:



I'm just completely baffled that I never, ever realized this myself and only when Andi described it so well in her post I recognized my own mistake. To be fair, I also knit most of my cardigans in the round so I only noticed it in certain garments (this is not an excuse but  maybe partly an explanation).

Just so you know, it might be worth checking your own purling technique and maybe you can still fix some mistake even after 20 years of knitting! 

2 comments:

  1. Such a funny story! My revelation might not be as drastic as yours, but only after a decade I learned that it's rather unusual to let go of your needles while knitting. I guess that happens when you rarely meet knitters in real life :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, yes I guess so. At least it shows that you're never too old to learn!

    ReplyDelete