Search This Blog

Thursday 9 June 2016

Transformation Thursday: Embroidered top

 

It's been a while since I had a good upcycling project but the second I saw this top at the thrift shop I knew this was a perfect candidate. I had been looking for a simlar top for ages and I love the embroidery (although I still can't decide if it's more South American or Eastern European style). The only issue: it was the size of a tent. But with a sewing machine at home there was a quick fix.

I wanted to keep the embroidered panel in one piece and make the top shorter. The easiest solution was to just take the sleeves off and make a kind of tunic instead and I was lucky enough that the width was just right. I unpicked all the pieces and also re-pleated both front and back parts. In hindsight I'm not a big fan of the pleat in the back but the distribution of the fabric is ok. 

The blue flowers on the back are such a nice detail and I'm happy that I could keep them in place! Likewise, I saw this little figurine (see the second picture below) at the thrift shop and when I asked how much it cost, they actually gave it to me for free. Yey, such a good week!

Stage 1: The original shirt


 Stage 2: Disassembling


 Stage 3: The new top



No comments:

Post a Comment