Search This Blog

Thursday 22 September 2016

Marigold



As I wrote in my previous post on this project, this pattern was love at first sight. I don't normally buy patterns (there's enough free ones on Ravelry) but this one was perfect for what I had in mind with my stashed alpaca yarn.

I went for the "Marigold" pattern because I liked the lace panel in the back but for the rest it is a very plain cardigan, perfect to wear over a dress. I decided to lengthen the sleeves because the alpaca yarn is very warm, so it doesn't make sense for me to have short sleeves with an ultra-warm garment. I also used smaller needles to adapt to the lightweight yarn, which means I had to take up a few additional stitches around the armholes.

Other than that I knitted according to the pattern and there were no major hickups. I used short rows for the sleeve caps for the first time and looks very neat and fits well, I think this is something I will do in future projects, too. Only minor mishap: when I seamed the collar in the back, I didn't assemble it completely in line with the lace panel. You can see on the picture above that the seam is off-centre. But I can live with that.

So, white cardigan, how long will that last? I'm aware of the risks but as a plan B I told myself that I can always dye it in case I manage to spill something on it (which is not unlikely). I'm also curious how much I will wear this cardi in the winter since it's not closed in the front but for autumn this is definitely a great little garment!

***

Pattern: "Marigold" by Cecily Glowik MacDonald, published in "Making" magazine issue No. 1
Yarn: Michell alpaca, stashed from Peru


1 comment:

  1. Die jacke ist ja super geworden. Das Muster habe ich auch noch, mal sehen, wenn ich es realisiere.

    ReplyDelete