Search This Blog

Monday 3 October 2016

Sweden (and a bit of Denmark)


 
 




After four (?!) years it was definitely high time to go back to my second home country to top up my stash of salty licorice and satisfy my craving for cinnamon buns, the sea, quietness, polite bus drivers, beautiful beaches, dark woods, dairy products, and meeting old friends. And I managed to tick almost everything off my list, even though I would have loved to meet even more people, as usual.

Our trip took us from Copenhagen to Malmö, where we stayed for 4 days. Copenhagen was prettier than I remembered but annoyed me due to many other reasons (passport controls at the train station? Coffee for 5 €? Registering online to use the shared bike scheme? Tourists at a rate of 25/m2?). Therefore, we spent most of the time in my beloved Malmö where everything is more laid back and relaxing. And better, in general.

Then we moved on to Gotland, my favourite island in the Baltic sea, where I first went on a school exchange many, many years ago. 15, to be precise! It has left a lasting impression and I'm still friends with my former exchange partner and some other people that participated in the programme back then. It was lovely to see them again and reminisce about those times. Other than that, we cycled a lot and went on trips around the island including to the neighbouring island of Fårö.

To round off the ultimate Sweden experience we spent a couple more days in Stockholm where we mostly just walked around, had coffee, enjoyed the views, and did shopping. It's definitely a place where you can spend more time but we were already in this "end of the holiday" vibe and lacked a bit of energy.

All in all a great, relaxing holiday with a looong walk down memory lane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment