Search This Blog

Saturday 14 January 2017

2016 wrap-up



Sorry for the delay of my review of the 2016 knitting year - I only just got back from our trip to India and Nepal (more about that in another post). Well, what can I say about 2016? First of all, it was a  productive year, especially in terms of stash-busting vs buying new yarn. Except for some yarn indulgence in Riga (I mean, can you go to Latvia without buying anything?!), the test knit, and the tweed yarn I bought with a voucher I got from my sister, all my projects were made from stashed or recycled yarn. Yey!

I think my favourite piece is the "Marigold" cardigan because I learned a new technique (short rows for the shoulder shaping) and it's definitely been the cardigan I've worn the most during autumn. The green tweed cardigan was for some reason better before blocking, it lost it's shape a little bit and I don't like it that much anymore. I think I'll have to wash it again and try to correct the fit.

I'm especially proud that I didn't hesitate to rip up some old projects to recycle the yarn. It always takes some willpower to undo all these hours and hours of work but afterwards I usually feel better. If I haven't worn something for a year it means it needs improvement! Usually I only notice after a few months which projects are actually "wearable" and only a few turn into favourites.

So for next year, I'm planning to do this again and buy even less new yarn, even though it's tempting. I have some ideas for new projects and except maybe for some fresh Lopi, I should have everything in my stash (my Ravelry queue is always long but strangely I hardly ever actually knit anything from it - spontaneous inspiration usually wins). These are the projects that could actually make it:

- "Islandsgenser" by Vilde Sofie
- "Siri" by Linnéa Öhman
- "Birki" by  Jóhanna Hjaltadóttir

And then of course there will be a lot of improvisation and spontaneous project choices, as usual! Happy 2017 everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment