Search This Blog

Sunday 28 January 2018

Baby stuff I



Finally, I got around to doing some knitting for the baby! And it's so much fun, producing those little clothes goes so fast I have already started a small collection. I haven't even managed to buy buttons for all the cardigans, that's why in this post I'm only showing the first part of my projects - there's more to come!

Mainly I'm knitting cardigans. I don't like jumpers myself and I imagine it will be easier to put a cardigan on the baby than trying to force something over its head. Rompers and trousers made from wool don't really seem practical to me, I think I'll stick to cotton ones that you can wash decently in the machine. So for now it's cardigans and hats/bonnets and I'm planning on knitting some socks, too.

My basic go-to pattern is the "Raglan Baby Cardigan" that I found on ravelry, it's the one I used for the green cardigan pictured above. It only comes in two sizes but with a variation of different yarns you can basically knit any size. And it's super easy and looks really neat with the regular raglan increase. You can customize it very easily and I've already made different versions with and without sleeves (see my projects here for example).

The red squirrel jumper is "Nøtteliten jumper with circular yoke", also a free pattern on ravelry. I already made it once in the past but this time I steeked it and turned it into a cardigan. I'm very proud of myself that I even had the patience to sew on the ribbon to cover the steek border inside. But I admit it's also partly because I ran out of the red yarn (you can see the button band is also a bit on the narrow side) so I didn't have enough to secure the steek with a matching colour.

Finally, the bonnet is the Purl Soho "Baby Bonnet" pattern. I love Purl Soho yarns, especially their beautiful colour schemes, but I'm always too stingy to pay for the postage and taxes to order from the US. In this case it wasn't a problem because I still had enough yarn in my stash though. And the pattern was quite straight forward, too. Although I still couldn't figure out how to knit the attached iCord! In the end I just crocheted the border and the strings.

***

Patterns:
Yarns:
Various leftover bits from my stash, mainly the Michell's alpaca for the bonnet, some Lithuanian wool yarn for the red cardigan and some handspun merino for the green cardigan, contrasted with the same alpaca yarn mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment