Search This Blog

Friday 1 August 2014

Festival summer in Belgium

Over the past weeks I have been constantly asked why I wouldn't leave Brussels in the summer to go on holidays (preferably to some beach location in Southern Europe) and I've been getting a little tired of it. First of all because I don't think I have to justify why I am NOT leaving my hometown and secondly because Brussels is a great place to spend the summer!!

Ok, I admit that the weather can be somewhat unstable and there is no guarantee for 30 degrees celsius and sunshine, but neither can you expect that in Paris, London or Amsterdam. What's great about Brussels is that contrary to many other European cities, there is potentially even more stuff going on than during the rest of the year! Of course a fair share of people abandon the city during the month of August and it does definitely get more quiet in certain areas where tourists usually don't go but in return Brussels boasts an impressive number of festivals which make almost every weekend like a mini-holiday. And even if there is a weekend without a festival in Brussels, it is very likely that there is one somewhere else in Belgium. Since Belgium is so small, you can drive anywhere in maximum 2.5 hours so technically you have free choice!

Not only are there many music festivals but also many other cultural events that actually make me want to stay here in August. And the best thing is, that they're actually really good! Most people will have heard about Tomorrowland, Rock Werchter or Pukkelpop which have already a long-established international reputation with the corresponding international headliners. But have you also heard about Couleur Café, Dour or Les Ardentes which are smaller but still internationally known? Or, even smaller and more local festivals such as Jam in Jette, Esperanzah or Cactus? This is not even counting the many city festivals such as the Gentse Feesten, I'm sure there are many more which are equally good.

One of my friends once said: "It is amazing that administration is such a chaos in Belgium. How can the bureaucracy be so inefficient but organizing a festival with 400 000 + people doesn't seem to be a problem at all?!" Well, I would like to think it's because Belgians like their festivals so they put all their energy in fun stuff instead of boring bureaucray - which is ok by me.

I, for my part, admit leaving my favourite city to go to Scotland tomorrow but it's only for one week and one thing is for sure: it will NOT be to escape the bad weather in Belgium. 


No comments:

Post a Comment