Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Scotland

In the beginning of August I spent a wonderful week in Scotland, on the Outer Hebrides to be precise. If you don't know where exactly that is don't worry - think West coast and then West and a little further West and you end up on the islands that are off the Scottish coast between Skye and St. Kilda if that helps. 

In any way, it was a long 7-hour drive from Glasgow to Skye from where we took the ferry to Tarbert on the Isle of Harris. Harris and Lewis are actually the same island, I still haven't understood why they are called differently, but we only stayed on Harris which is the southern part. We camped almost the whole week except for two nights while we were driving up/down and in spite of our awful  £ 20 Tesco tent we managed quite well in the Scottish wilderness. From Lewis we took a ferry south to Berneray (definitely the best part of the trip) and North Uist and from there back to Skye. 

It was pretty much as I remembered Scotland from a trip I took there as a teenager almost 10 years ago but less midges for a change. Can't say I missed them much! The countryside was still as stunning and imposing and the air as clean and fresh. A lovely change from the big city routine! But even Glasgow was much more pleasant than expected; most people had told me it wasn't even worth a visit. But we stayed in the lovely West End near the University and it almost made me wish I was a student again. Definitely a place to go back to!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment