Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 February 2015

My first knitting competition

It's not like I would be dying of boredom here  but I decided to take up another challenge: I registered for my first knitting competition! I want to add here that I'm not exactly the most competitive type of person but the prospect of winning a 300 € voucher to spend on organic, hand-dyed and locally produced yarn was just too tempting. But now you might be wondering: how can you compete in knitting??

Well it's not about speed knitting for sure because I would totally suck. The competition is organized by an association that promotes wool production and sales in Wallonia, the southern region of Belgium and they are looking for a more artistic approach to raise awareness of how wool can be used creatively. When you register for the competition they send you 100 g of yarn (there is a fee of 10 € to participate but I figured that paying the money is worth it even if I just get to keep the yarn which is already value for money) and you have to make something out of it. The only condition is that you cannot use any other type of yarn or additional material. You are allowed to dye it and you can knit, felt, crochet or whatever you like.

I haven't decided what to make yet but I ordered the white yarn so that I can maybe get started on some experiments with natural dye. I read an article about berry-dyes or maybe avocado dye which sounded fun so I might try that out.

 If you're interested in the competition you can check out the terms and conditions here.


The raw material is pictured above. What will it be?!

No comments:

Post a Comment