Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2016

Arrows


Lopipeysa number 01/2016 or, to be correct, number 6 in my personal collection. But as I'm trying something new with every jumper I tested using Plötulopi this time as Maria Carlander mentioned her positive experience with it on her blog. I also used her chart for the yoke while keeping my trusty "Aftur" pattern for the bodice & sleeves.

Knitting with Plötulopi is a bit different because it is unspun yarn so the fibres are only attached to each very losely; it is not twisted or plied. But since it is sheep wool the fibres "stick" very well to each other and you can fix it very easily if the yarn breaks. That didn't actually happen to me very often, the only thing that was a pain was at the end when I tried to stitch the underarm holes together with kitchener stitch. Of course there was too much tension on the yarn and I should have come up with a better solution but in the end I just plied a strand by hand and that worked.

In spite of my positive experience I'm not sure if I'll use it again because when held double it is very bulky, something in between Létt Lopi and Alafoss Lopi, which results in an extremely warm garment. I might try to hold it as a single strand and see what the result is but normally, Létt Lopi is more than enough for the mild Belgian climate. Big plus though: Plötulopi is even cheaper than the already cheap Lopi yarns in general. I think I payed around 3 € for 100 g in the Alafoss shop in Reykjavík.

Oh, and I already have my eye on the next Lopipeysa. Isn't this one a beauty?

***

Pattern: A mixture of "Aftur" and Maria Carlander's chart for the yoke
Yarn: Alafoss Plötulopi/Unspun Icelandic

No comments:

Post a Comment